Sunday, April 3, 2011

Downtown at Target, and I just saw Eric Eskola without a scarf. I told him he's awesome.

I saw him going into Target, and I was so excited about it that I stopped on 11th and Nicollet, en route back to my apartment, to tweet it. As I'm tweeting away, as we do in 2011 etc., Eric walks by again. He flippin' walked past me again, for goodness sake!!! He’s carrying bread and a 12-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper that he bought from Target. I walk diagonally toward his path and ask, "Are you Eric Eskola?" I think he may have thought I was a little crazy for a moment. I was all sunglasses-and-bearded-up, approachin' homie as though we go back like seats in a Cadillac or somethin', so I can maybe understand his perspective.

But he says, "yes." And homie doesn't even have a scarf on for goodness sake - Just a red spring jacket - No scarf. You know it's spring time when Eric Eskola doesn't even have a scarf on. Anyway, Eric is honest with me about who he is, and he says, "yes."

And I say, "You're awesome."

And he perceives me to be a fan, which I am, but he says, "Well, thanks. What's your name?" But I can tell he doesn't really want to know my name, because he's hesitant like he might still think I'm completely out of my mind. I say, "My name's Joe, but that doesn't even matter right now. You're awesome. Just keep being awesome. I'm gonna go do some homework and you keep being awesome." And then I turned east on 11th toward my home.

You know what? Eric Eskola is awesome. He was given the opportunity to work, and he did. He worked very hard for a long time and did some really good things with his opportunity. He engaged people all over Minnesota and contributed greatly to how involved Minnesotans are in our political process. Sure, he may have been given some advantages that the average bloke may not have had. Sure, he may be kind of a quirky fellow with his scarves, etc.

But who isn’t?

Eric Eskola is someone who acted in his own circle of people and worked really hard, even though he couldn’t always see immediate results of his work. And the work he did ended up radiating well outside his immediate circle. And that’s what I’m talkin’ about.

Some of those other schmoes on Nicollet and 11th don’t know that Eric Eskola is awesome. But I do. I went home and did some homework. Because I want to get on my own level of Eric Eskola awesomeness.

No comments: